Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Lake Ingalls, WA



Lake Ingalls, WA - 10/2013

This is one amazing hike and pristine wilderness you can experience if you want everything in one hike, particularly now to view fantastic golden fall colors of larches. This week may be the last chance to catch that. You can read other trip reports on Lake Ingalls for details which I found useful for my trip. Hence, my trip report is to be short and simple, and just to say TWO THUMBS UP! The hike also offers a variety of terrains to hike along (forest, water falls, switchbacks, traversing saddles, scrambling) and various vegetation/rock formations with grand vistas of mountain peaks all along until you reach Lake Ingalls. Be ready to drop your jaw as you trek up switchbacks and magnificent Mt. Stuart greets you at the pass....Wow! The snow is already 1 -2 feet deep over the pass, but you can follow well packed snow trail to reach the tarn. Route finding and ascending to the lake may be a bit tricky part of the way due to the snow. The snow was slushy when I started the switchback section around 1pm. Trekking poles are useful, and calculate the starting/returning time of your hike for the snow's slippery condition. I started a bit late around noon, reached the lake by 2:30, and trek back to my car a little after 5pm. If I had started earlier, I would have had more leisure time at the lake. It took me 3 hrs to get to the trailhead from Seattle. The last 10 miles of the unpaved road to TH are full of potholes (some are huge and deep!), so just go slow and take it easy. I highly recommend this hike. Feed your soul with all the spectaculars!

  
How to get there:
From Seattle drive east on I-90 to East Cle Elum, exit 85. Cross over the freeway overpass and turn right (northbound) on State Route 970. Cross the Teanaway River bridge, and in another mile turn left onto Teanaway Road. Drive north on Teanaway Road, veering right as it becomes first the North Fork Teanaway Road and then unpaved Forest Road 9737 at 29 Pines Campground. Continue to the road's end.

Roundtrip 9.0 miles
Elevation Gain 2500 ft
Highest Point 6500 ft



 


No comments:

Post a Comment