Saturday, May 30, 2015

Mt. Ellinor - Olympic Peninsula, WA


Obviously, this hike is so popular that parts of the trail could get congested with traffic. Also, I was surprised to see many family hikers with small children trekking up all the way to the top. Believe me, this is NOT an easy hike. In fact, it's rather strenuous. And yet, it's worth the effort. 

I started my journey from Upper trailhead which climbs about 2,500 ft in 1.6 miles. It starts out with a series of merciless switchbacks through the forest.....some of the trees are really TALL! Once the tree line thins out, rocky trail begins, which eventually makes you feel like a mountain goat. It certainly kicks your butt! 

To speak of mountain goats, I saw five of them in this hike. They seem to be good-natured, but it is advised to stay calm and keep a safe distance from them. You never know how aggressive or even lethal they can be. After all, they are wild animals. 

When it's a clear day, the view from the summit is spectacular. Wild flowers are just beginning. I saw glacier lilies for the first time in this season.
 
3.2 miles RT (Upper trail)
2,500 ft elevation gain





 

No comments:

Post a Comment