Monday, June 6, 2016

Unicorn Peak via Bench and Snow Lake Trails - Mt. Rainier, WA





This is an epic hike "if" it's done timely....before the snow melts away and the route to Unicorn Peak becomes rocky.

I snow-hiked Bench and Snow Lakes Trails 3 weeks ago and noticed a pointy peak looming by Snow Lake. It intrigued me and learned the peak was Unicorn Peak. Seeing boot tracks heading up to the gully toward the mountain peak, I figured that must be the way to Unicorn Peak.

Reading the recent trip report and WTA's description, I decided to try Unicorn Peak and set the goal to reach the saddle below the summit block. I am an avid hiker, but not a rock climber or into a hard-core scrambling, so reaching the saddle and get a closer view of the peak would be a great adventure, I thought. And, the mission accomplished! What an exciting journey it was! I am glad I did this hike while the route is still snow covered (instead of rocky) and the weather was gorgeous with no bugs this weekend.

The trail to Bench and Snow Lakes is mostly snow free...just patchy snow here and there. The trail has some muddy spots, but no biggie. Glacier lilies are popping out now and will be blooming more soon.

There is one blow down blocking the trail, but it's easy to get around. There is a creek you have to cross, which seemed posing a little issue. I saw some hikers needing a help to cross the creek. There were three options I found for crossing the creek yesterday....hopping on rocks (staying on trail), big fallen tree (veer to left from trail) or small wood piece (veer to right from trail). You can follow the boot tracks based on which way you want to choose for the creek crossing. I followed the boot tracks going right from the main path and found the small wood setting over the creek. The creek seemed relatively shallow there and not too wide (about 4 feet). See the pics for comparison.

After the creek crossing, the trail becomes mostly snow covered and leads you to Snow Lake. The lake is not completely snow/ice free yet, but it is showing up more compared to 3 weeks ago (it was still mostly frozen).

From the lake, I continued the journey to ascend the gully by following the boot tracks. I passed by quite a few climbers coming down en route. The gully is very steep. I could manage ascending the first half without traction device, but as it got steeper and the snow was slushy and slippery, I decided to use microspikes for ascending the second half. Hiking poles are a must. Ice axe may be even better in case of losing traction and slipping down the gully.

The view of the snowfield at the top of the gully is spectacular. It's surrounded by the mountain wall....it made me feel like hiking into a snow-filled gigantic stadium. As you continue to ascend, turn around once in a while and enjoy the view of Mt. Rainer behind you. Traversing the snow field, Unicorn Peak comes into sight with another pointy peak (West Unicorn Peak). My destination was to reach the saddle between the two peaks. The slope to the saddle is once again very steep....and it was slushy/slippery in the late afternoon. I even wished for crampons!

Take in the grand view at the saddle! Worth the effort!! With Unicorn Peak next to you, Mt. Rainier to north and Mt. Adams, Mount St. Helens, Mt. Hood and other peaks of Tatoosh range to south are seen. I hiked down to the south side of the saddle to get a better view of the southern peaks. From the saddle, the climbing routes to the Unicorn's summit block are - scramble the steep north west face, or ascend the snow covered steep route along the south side of the peak, or traverse below the saddle to the east side for scrambling. You should be better equipped with ice axe, crampons and helmet to reach the summit block safely. 


Descending from the saddle was a little tricky due to the steep grade and slushy/slippery snow condition which presented a poor traction. So, I ended up glissading down part of the way which saved also my knees! Trekking down the gully was fair as the snow was not so slushy/slippery and I could use the boot tracks as a step.  

Unicorn Peak was a great hike and adventure with fantastic views, though it was a bit strenuous to conquer the two rather steep slopes. Instead of scrambling up the rocky trail/gully after the snow is gone, I am glad that I did this hike with the trail still snow covered. The journey to Unicorn Peak gave me such an exciting hike similar to Camp Muir, but only in a shorter distance! (5 miles RT) Two thumbs up!




No comments:

Post a Comment