Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mt. Rainier - Lenticular clouds


*Click image to view large.

Mt. Rainier - Jan.13, 2012.  Perfect day for snowshoeing in Mt. Rainier.  The temperature was 43 degrees at Paradise (5,400')....wow, it was like early spring.  Patchy cloud and a little hazy, but nothing to complain about the condition of the snow and the weather.   From Paradise parking lot my friend and I  headed out to Panorama Point and possibly farther up toward Camp Muir depending on time and conditions permitted.  Although I "forgot" my snowshoes (Oops!), the packed and crusty snow was fairly easy and maneuverable to hike in my snow-sealed hiking boots.   On the way to Glacier Vista,  a ranger who was patrolling the area warned us about the steep slope(direct approach to Panorama Point).....it might be very icy, she said.  There were a few other hikers ahead and I saw them putting on crampons by the bottom of the slope.  Looking up the slope to evaluate, the slope's surface snow looked soft and crusty, but it could be deceiving....icy.  So, I decided to use crampons just in case.  I've done this ascent many times in the past and knew the routine.....but it is better to be well prepared just in case.  The ascent was pretty smooth.  My friend gave up about half way and decided to turn around and wait for my return after my "butt kicking workout" to Panorama Point.  There were a few icy spots near the top of the slope, but nothing threatening.  At Panorama Point, the view of "the volcanic ring of fire" - Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens - was spectacular, particularly Mt. Hood was very clear that day in spite of the distance.  I knew time was running out....it was already 2pm!  No time to go all the way to Camp Muir for sure.  After a brief chat with a hiker I met at Panorama Point, I decided to keep ascending for another hour (3pm) or so and turn around.  Between Panorama Point and Pebble Creek  I noticed a sign of snow shortage this winter.  The snow field was partially rock-exposed.  Also, it got cold and windy by the time reaching near Pebble Creek (7,000').  It was time to turn around.  That was when I noticed Mt. Rainier was forming an interesting cloud - lenticular cloud, which also often indicates a sign of storm moving in.  The cloud was forming up like a huge ball right above Rainier's top.  Quite amazing.  I've seen lenticular clouds before, but this one was quite different.  Enjoying the view of the could, I felt the wind was really picking up hard and temperature dropping fast.  It was time to turn around for sure and quickly began descending.  On the way down to Panorama Point  I passed by four hikers who were ascending.   I told them to be careful and be prepared for the nasty weather up there since it was getting windy and cold near Pebble Creek.  My friend was waiting for me at the bottom of Panorama Point.  After rendezvous, we made a quick stop at Glacier Vista to see the glacier on the way back to Paradise.  We returned to Paradise around 4:30pm.  Upon leaving the park,  we were greeted by "the" two foxes in the parking lot....red one and black one.  They are regulars in Paradise....looking for a "handout".   The sunset burning the sky was spectacular on the way down to Longmire.   It was another great hike in Mt. Rainier!

PS:  Don't forget snowshoes if you intend to snowshoe!


From Seattle
South on I-5 to SR 512 (exit 127). East on SR 512 to SR 7. South on SR 7 to SR 706 in Elbe. East on SR 706 through Ashford to the Nisqually Entrance.


 Lenticular cloud over Mt. Rainier


Lenticular cloud beginning to form.


 Rainier's having a BALL!


 View east of below Pebble Creek....rock exposed, lack of snow is clearly seen.


Burning sky at sunset.






1 comment:

  1. My problem is...I would mess up taking a picture of a concrete block...honestly. I do love viewing God's creation as captured through the camera of others and you have done that quite well. I have added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower also.

    ReplyDelete