Sunday, July 12, 2015

McClellan Butte, WA

Ever since I noticed the pointy peak (butte) sticking out from the mountain top on I-90 between North Bend and Snoqualmie Pass and my friend told me about the trail going up to the peak, I wanted to hike it. I finally made it last Sunday. 

This hike is a grueling march, however, specially the second half of the journey....steep switchbacks lead you on up and up to the sum
mit. The trail offers a reminiscence of logging history of the area as you cross three forest roads along the trail. The first half of the hike is a gentle grade through old tree growth. The trail is clearly marked at junctions, so it is easy to follow. The second half of the hike gets pretty tough as the trail ascends with steep switchbacks somewhat similar to Granite Mountain/Mailbox Peak. The treeline slightly thins out in the last half mile or so....take in the grand view of Mt. Rainier. 

As you reach to the top (ledge), it's time to consult with your skill, spirit and desire whether you are satisfied to end the journey there or aim to scramble the steep ridge for the actual summit. For some people, technically it may be an easy scramble, but most people (including myself) would have to conquer fear first, then, assess and scramble. It is really very exposed. Watch for the steps and hand holds....and keep the body close to the holds and the ridge face as you proceed. I made it all right. In fact, scrambling up was easy, but I paid an extra attention with coming down....slowly and carefully. The steps have enough space for footing and the holds are solid. 

The vistas from the summit.....Mt. Rainier, I-90 corridor peaks, Mt. Stuart and other notable Cascade peaks line up in front of you. You are now on top of the pointy top of McClellan Butte. 

Some wild flowers are blooming. I saw a patch of salmon berries just beginning to ripen. Mosquitoes are out and active....a bit annoying!





No comments:

Post a Comment