Sunday, July 12, 2015

Sheep Lake and Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) Section I.1 - White Pass - Chinook Pass, Mt. Rainier, WA

This is a lovely hike with a great view of mountains and wildflowers all long the trail. Trailhead (PCT trailhead) is easy access right along HWY 410/Chinook Pass. The trail toward Sheep Lake is at the end of the parking lot behind the restrooms. The short hike leads you on along stunning vistas of the deep opening valley of Chinook Pass. The hike to the lake is about 2 miles with a gentle grade. 

The lake and lush meadows are peacefully tucked in surrounded by mountains. I saw meadows carpeted with blue lupines all over and a touch of red paintbrush for an accent. What a beauty! 

As I had a little extra time when I returned to trailhead after the short hike to Sheep Lake, I decided to make a quick side trip via PCT/Chinook Pass - White Pass. The section of PCT begins at Naches Peak loop trailhead just across the bridge of Mt. Rainier National Park over the highway (you'll see the bridge in a distance on the way back to the parking lot from Sheep Lake). 

I trekked in/out about 1 mile or so along Naches Peak loop trail as part of PCT. There are wildflower meadows, creeks, and a small lake after the forest about a mile in. I'd love to go back again and explore that section of PCT down toward White Pass.







No comments:

Post a Comment