Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sauer's Mountain - WA






April 28, 2016

OMG!!! Yes, that was my first reaction when I saw them. So many wildflowers!!! I had never seen that many wildflowers blooming in one hike in springtime, besides summer's wildflowers. I literally dropped my jaw when I saw those endless wildflowers from the beginning to the end...all the way from trail head to the summit. I am NOT kidding. In fact, I couldn't sleep last night since all the beautiful flowers were still twirling so vividly in my head like a kaleidoscope!

If you want to see those impressive wildflowers and dip your body and soul into them, I highly recommend doing this hike soon and capture the beauty of the spring wildflowers before they are gone. They are absolutely fantastic!

The WTA's description of the hike is correct. So, you can refer to it for hiking details and driving directions. However, I took I-90 from Seattle instead of HWY 2 because GPS showed I could save 15 min....which made sense as the trailhead is located in a small town of Pershastin south of Leavenworth.

I met Mr. Sauer at the beginning of the hike. He was sitting on a chair by his vineyard along the trail and friendly greeting hikers. He said he was over 80 years old and growing wine grapes right there for many years. It was nice to meet him and come to know the man who has been a significant part of Sauer's Mountain history.

Trail is in good shape, but narrow, so be courteous to fellow hikers when foot traffic is heavy. There are several steep slopes, but they are very short, so nothing to worry about. The trail ascends gradually in most parts. 3 miles one way gaining 2,000 ft.

Enjoy views as you ascend....they are really beautiful and peaceful - Stuart Range, Wenatchee River Valley, Icicle Ridge and the Enchantments. The trail eventually splits as a loop, and you can go either way because it meets back again. If you go to right at the loop sign, it takes you through a forest to the summit. If you take left, it takes you along the viewpoint of Wenatchee River Valley. The way I did was to take the right fork to ascend through the forest, and descended via the other way so that I could explore both routes of the loop.

At the summit, take in the grand vistas of the mountain ranges across the valley below you. The top of Glacier Peak is also visible. The trail continues from the summit to a little higher level until it finally drops down to the other direction. I followed the trail a little farther from the summit because wildflowers were all over along the summit ridge!!!

I saw lots of wild birds and they kept singing all along the hike. With myriads of wildflowers and wild birds singing, I felt mesmerized somewhere deep into wonderland. Sauers Mountain is a magical hike with countless spring wildflowers all over!






No comments:

Post a Comment